By Christopher Bolton, Istvan Csicsery-Ronay Jr., Takayuki Tatsumi
A suite of essays approximately eastern technological know-how fiction in all it's tastes and kinds. this is the content material, so that you can come to a decision if it's anything for you ;P
Part I. Prose technological know-how Fiction
1. Miri Nakamura: HORROR AND MACHINES IN PREWAR JAPAN - The Mechanical Uncanny in Yumeno Kyusaku’s Dogura magura
2. Thomas Schnellbächer: HAS THE EMPIRE SUNK but? - The Pacific in jap technological know-how Fiction
3. Kotani Mari: ALIEN areas AND ALIEN our bodies IN jap WOMEN’S technological know-how FICTION
4. Azuma Hiroki: SF AS HAMLET - technology Fiction and Philosophy
5. William O. Gardner: TSUTSUI YASUTAKA AND THE MULTIMEDIA functionality OF AUTHORSHIP
Part II. technological know-how Fiction Animation
6. Susan J. Napier: while THE MACHINES cease - fable, fact, and Terminal id in Neon Genesis Evangelion and Serial Experiments: Lain
7. Christopher Bolton: THE MECHA’S BLIND SPOT - Patlabor 2 and the Phenomenology of Anime
8. Naoki Chiba and Hiroko Chiba: phrases OF ALIENATION, phrases OF FLIGHT - Loanwords in technology Fiction Anime
9. Sharalyn Orbaugh: intercourse AND the one CYBORG - eastern pop culture Experiments in Subjectivity
10. Livia Monnet: INVASION OF the lady SNATCHERS - the matter of A-Life and the Uncanny in ultimate delusion: The Spirits Within
11. Saito Tamaki: OTAKU SEXUALITY
Afterword. Takayuki Tatsumi: a really smooth TIME computer - From Translation to Transfiguration
Read or Download Robot Ghosts and Wired Dreams: Japanese Science Fiction from Origins to Anime PDF
Similar japan books
During this wealthy highbrow historical past, Cemil Aydin demanding situations the idea that anti-Westernism within the Muslim international is a political and non secular response to the liberal and democratic values of the West. neither is anti-Westernism a normal reaction to Western imperialism. in its place, via targeting the business enterprise and achievements of non-Western intellectuals, Aydin demonstrates that smooth anti-Western discourse grew out of the legitimacy quandary of a unmarried, Eurocentric worldwide polity within the age of excessive imperialism.
Video segmentation is the main basic strategy for acceptable index ing and retrieval of video periods. typically, video streams are composed 1 of pictures delimited by means of actual shot limitations. great paintings has been performed on the right way to observe such shot barriers instantly (Arman et aI. , 1993) (Zhang et aI.
Company Ethics: Japan and the worldwide financial system offers a multicultural standpoint of world enterprise ethics with certain emphasis on jap viewpoints. not like the common enterprise ethics e-book written basically from the perspective of Western tradition and economic climate, nearly all of the paintings is via Asian students, delivering an ancient evaluation of the non secular, medical and cultural phenomena which converged to create glossy jap enterprise ethics.
Traditionelle Wettbewerbsanalysen sind für Unternehmen oft unbefriedigend: Zum einen basieren sie auf einem Vergleich nationaler Branchen, zum anderen leiten sie sich aus den in Geschäftsberichten veröffentlichten Jahresabschlußdaten ab. Diese Analysen bieten nur beschränkt konkrete Ansatzpunkte für betriebliche Verbesserungen.
- Toshié: A Story of Village Life in Twentieth-Century Japan
- Frommer's Tokyo (2004) (Frommer's Complete)
- Malice: A Mystery
- Japanese Assimilation Policies in Colonial Korea, 1910-1945 (Korean Studies of the Henry M. Jackson School of International Studies)
Additional info for Robot Ghosts and Wired Dreams: Japanese Science Fiction from Origins to Anime
Yano was inﬂuenced by Jules Verne, whose works were immensely popular in Japan during the 1880s. There is no question that Verne’s TwentyThousand Leagues under the Sea (1870) was a particularly important inﬂuence on all the works to be discussed here. However, the themes of Japanese identity and autonomy are even more prominent. Hence, while many of the narratives I discuss draw on well-known precursors (both Western and Japanese), there are signiﬁcant variations. My discussion, for instance, features several idealistic renegade submarine commanders reminiscent of Verne’s Captain Nemo.
29 Yumeno will add a twist to it by inscribing onto the double a completely different national identity. The uncanny will occur when Ichiro¯ realizes that he is not a “pure Japanese,” as he has previously assumed, and when he is “split” into two nationalities. Moreover, the fusing of the mechanical and the biological applies strictly to the individual’s own awareness of self, not to the individual’s uncertainty about another mechanical object. That is, it is not that the characters are unsure if a robot is really a human; they are uncertain about whether they might themselves be mechanical, mere reproductions of other objects.
Dupuy, “Autonomy of Social Reality,” 69. 34. Although it is beyond the scope of this chapter to discuss the role of the female bodies in Dogura magura, I believe that if any human body in 1930s Japan could be described as “mechanical,” it was the female body, speciﬁcally in the context of the reproductive organs. : Stanford University Press, 1984), 273. What underlies this statement is the eugenics movement that dominated prewar Japan’s scientiﬁc discourse and that promoted the idea that female bodies must be manipulated through scientiﬁc methods in order to produce “healthy” offspring, untainted by physical and mental diseases.