By Kevin T. Patton PhD, Gary A. Thibodeau PhD
Simple and easy, Thibodeau and Patton's Structure & functionality of the physique, 14th Edition makes the tough suggestions of anatomy and body structure transparent and more straightforward to appreciate. targeting the conventional constitution and serve as of the human physique and what the physique does to keep up homeostasis, this introductory textual content offers greater than four hundred vibrantly specified illustrations and numerous interactive studying instruments that can assist you identify an important origin for achievement within the care of the human physique.
- A transparent, elementary approach makes advanced anatomy and body structure techniques extra available.
- UNIQUE! Each bankruptcy reinforces your realizing of the constitution and serve as of the human body and what the physique does to keep up homeostasis.
- UNIQUE! Clear View of the Human Body permits you to peel again the layers of the human physique and practice a digital dissection.
- UNIQUE! Science Application boxes spotlight useful purposes of A&P content material by way of clinical leaders.
- Quick Check boxes try out your comprehension as you learn via each one bankruptcy.
- Boxes and tables aspect real-life purposes within the parts of well-being and health, medical functions, and learn, matters, and Trends.
- Chapter exams, overview questions, and significant considering questions determine components desiring extra study.
- Chapter outlines, targets, learn assistance, and appendices assist you examine extra successfully and locate the knowledge you would like fast.
- UNIQUE! Downloadable audio bankruptcy summaries at the Evolve significant other web site aid you overview for quizzes and tests at the move.
- UNIQUE! 31 new Animation Direct animations at the bound-in CD assist you visualize tough recommendations and procedures.
- Extensively revised and up-to-date illustrations and micrographs vividly illustrate and strengthen vital A&P content material.
- Updated content displays the main updated knowing of human anatomy.
Read Online or Download Structure & Function of the Body PDF
Similar anatomy books
This e-book is an obtainable choice of case learn eventualities perfect for body structure and pharmacology revision for pharmacy, scientific, biomedical technological know-how, medical technology and healthcare scholars. essentially dependent and arranged by means of significant organ method, the booklet emphasises ways that key signs of affliction tell prognosis and the alternative of remedy, including the appropriate pharmacological mechanisms.
This quantity of the treatise bargains with structural elements of the cytoskeleton: the features of the filaments and their elements; the association of the genes; motor proteins; interactions with membranes.
First published in 1983, this e-book matters the comparative physiological variations of vertebrate animals, specially mammals, to cessation of respiring. those diversifications have been initially pointed out in species residing in aquatic habitats. The argument is gifted that the average divers exhibit a well-developed and very easily studied instance of a extra basic defence opposed to asphyxia.
This booklet was once written to serve either as a advisor for the dissection of the human mind and as an illustrated compendium of the useful anatomy of the mind and spinal wire. during this experience, the e-book represents an up to date and extended model of the e-book The Human mind and Spinal wire written through the writer and released in Swedish by means of Scandinavian college Books in 1961.
- Mammary Gland Development: Methods and Protocols
- An Introduction to Biological Rhythms
- Introduction to mathematical methods in bioinformatics
- Anatomie du visage et du cou : en chirurgie et cosmétologie
- The new avenues in bioinformatics
- Illustrated Encyclopedia of Human Histology
Additional info for Structure & Function of the Body
Enzymes are vital to body chemistry. No reaction in the body occurs fast enough unless the specific enzymes needed for that reaction are present. Figure 2-13 illustrates how shape is important to the function of enzyme molecules. Each enzyme has a shape that “fits” the specific molecules it works on much as a key fits specific locks. This explanation of enzyme action is sometimes called the lock-and-key model. Proteins can bond with other organic compounds and form “mixed” molecules. For example, glycoproteins (described in Chapter 3) embedded in cell membranes are proteins with sugars attached.
Clearly, water is an important substance in the body! Chemical reactions always involve energy transfers. Energy is required to build the molecules. Some of that energy is stored as potential energy in the chemical bonds. The stored energy can then be released when the chemical bonds in the molecule are later broken apart. For example, a molecule called adenosine triphosphate (ATP) breaks apart in the muscle cells to yield the energy needed for muscle contraction (see Figure 2-15 on p. 30). Chemists often use a chemical equation to represent a chemical reaction.
In this reaction, water (hydro-) disrupts the bonds in large molecules, causing them to be broken down into smaller molecules (lysis). Hydrolysis is virtually the reverse of dehydration synthesis, as Figure 2-6 shows. All of the major types of organic compounds discussed later in this chapter are formed in water and use water (dehydration synthesis). And all four organic molecule types are broken apart in water and use water (hydrolysis). Clearly, water is an important substance in the body! Chemical reactions always involve energy transfers.