By Hans Maier
We're used to distinguishing the despotic regimes of the twentieth century - communism, fascism, nationwide Socialism, Maoism - very accurately in line with position and time, origins and affects. yet what should still we name that which they've got in universal? in this query, there was and remains to be a passionate debate.
This ebook files the 1st overseas convention in this subject matter, a convention that came about in September of 1994 on the college of Munich. The booklet indicates how new versions for knowing political historical past arose from the adventure of recent despotic regimes. the following, an important techniques - totalitarianism and political religions - are mentioned and validated when it comes to their usefulness.
Read or Download Totalitarianism and Political Religions: Concepts for the Comparison of Dictatorships PDF
Similar comparative politics books
This e-book is without doubt one of the first makes an attempt to investigate how constructing nations throughout the early twenty-first century have validated platforms of social security (i. e. pension and poverty courses, and public wellbeing and fitness and schooling platforms) and the way those structures were plagued by the new strategies of globalization (i.
Political events are one of many center associations of democracy. yet in democracies round the world—rich and negative, Western and non-Western—there is starting to be facts of low or declining public self assurance in events. In club, association, and renowned involvement and dedication, political events should not what they was.
A close research of the reaction to the Yugoslav quandary by way of considered one of America's key allies in NATO. the writer makes a speciality of the query of ways a Western paperwork confronted as much as the main advanced overseas coverage problem of the Nineties. The Netherlands, as a 'pocket-sized medium power', is a fascinating case examine.
- Parliaments and Government Formation: Unpacking Investiture Rules
- The Persians: warriors of the ancient world (Ancient Civilizations)
- Foundations of Comparative Politics (Cambridge Textbooks in Comparative Politics)
- Referendums and Representative Democracy: Responsiveness, Accountability and Deliberation (Routledge ECPR Studies in European Political Science)
- Federalism in Asia
- Working a Democratic Constitution: A History of the Indian Experience
Additional resources for Totalitarianism and Political Religions: Concepts for the Comparison of Dictatorships
399; Vol. XXVII, p. 11. 58 Opera omnia di Benito Mussolini, Vol. XXXIV, p. 119. 59 On the biography of Gentile, see Jürgen Charnitzky, Die Schulpolitik des faschistischen Regimes in Italien (1922–1943) (Tubigen, 1994). 60 Opera omnia di Benito Mussolini, Vol. XXI, p. 362; Vol. XXIV, p. 101. 61 Opera omnia di Benito Mussolini, Vol. XXIII, p. 269. 62 On this differentiation, compare Martin Jänicke, Totalitäre Herrschaft. Anatomie eines politischen Zugriffs (Berlin, 1971). ), Dizionario di politica, 4 vols (Rome: Istituto dell’Enciclopedia Italiana Treccani, 1940).
416. 70 Piero Calamandrei, Diario 1939–1945 (Florence, 1982), 2 vols. See, for example, Vol. I, pp. 23, 44, 76, 114, 205, 222, citation on p. 76. 71 Giuseppe Bottai, Diario 1935–1944 (Milan, 1982). Also Diario 1944–1948 (Milan, 1988). 72 Giuseppe Bottai, Ventianni e un giorno (Milan, 1949), p. 56. 73 Vittorio Zincone, Lo Stato totalitario (Rome, 1947). 74 Characteristic in this context is the history of the reception of Hannah Arendt. Her principle work, The Origins of Totalitarianism (1951), was first translated in 1967 (Milan: Comimità) Totalitarianism and political 20 and remained without a larger resonance.
10 ff. 10 Palmiro Togliatti, Lezioni sul fascismo (Rome, 1970), p. 20. Ledeen (Stuttgart, 1977), p. 111. 12 Renzo De Felice, ‘Le origini del fascismo’, Nuove questioni di storia contemporanea, Vol. I (Milan, 1968), p. 734. 13 Reinhart Koselleck, ‘Einleitung’, Geschichtliche Grundbegriffe, Historisches Lexikon zur politisch-sozialen Sprache in Deutschland, Vol. I (Stuttgart, 1972), pp. xiv, xv, xx. 14 Karl Dietrich Bracher, Zeitgeschichtliche Kontroversen. Um Faschismus, Totalitarismus, Demokratie (Munich, 1976), p.