By Carter Lindberg
Charting the increase and improvement of Christianity, Carter Lindberg has succeeded in writing a concise and compelling background of the world’s biggest faith. He spans over 2,000 years of colourful incident to provide an authoritative background of Christianity for either the overall reader and the start pupil.
- Ranges from the missionary trips of the apostles to the tele-evangelism of the twenty-first century.
- Demonstrates how the Christian group bought and cast its identification from its improvement of the Bible to the current day.
- Covers themes basic to figuring out the process Western Christianity, together with the expansion of the papacy, heresy and schism, reformation and counter-reformation.
- Includes an creation to the historiography of Christianity, a observe at the difficulties of periodization, an appendix on theological phrases, and an invaluable bibliography.
- An authoritative but succinct background, written to entice a common viewers in addition to scholars of the historical past of Christianity.
- Written by way of across the world looked theologian, Carter Lindberg, who's the writer of various titles on theology and Church history.
Read Online or Download A brief history of Christianity PDF
Similar religious history books
The observe Islam capacity Peace, yet for almost 1,400 years its adherents have waged war—frequently at the grandest and so much profitable scales in historical past. This ebook introduces a few of Islam's maximum army figures and analyzes major occasions which are shaping the trendy international. Nafziger and Walton aspect the wealthy and various army histories of dozens of empires, international locations, tribes, clans, and peoples.
An finish to Enmity casts gentle upon the shadowy determine of the offender of moment Corinthians by way of exploring the social and rhetorical conventions that ruled friendship, enmity and reconciliation within the Greco-Roman global. The publication places ahead a singular speculation in regards to the identification of the perpetrator and the character of his offence opposed to Paul.
Is manhattan a post-secular urban? significant immigration and cultural alterations have created an more and more complicated social panorama during which spiritual lifestyles performs a dynamic position. but the value of religion's influence on New York's social lifestyles has long gone unacknowledged. long island Glory gathers jointly for the 1st time the easiest examine on faith in modern big apple urban.
- Heaven and Earth in Anglo-saxon England: Theology and Society in an Age of Faith
- A Companion to Roman Religion (Blackwell Companions to the Ancient World)
- The Believer’s Church : the history and character of radical Protestantism
- Jewish and Christian Communal Identities in the Roman World
- Queering Richard Rolle: Mystical Theology and the Hermit in Fourteenth-Century England
- The Empire at the End of Time
Extra resources for A brief history of Christianity
The Donatists were not won back to the church, but were condemned. ” Thus the emperor Honorius around 400 applied heresy laws against schismatics. Throughout the history of the church Donatism has been a temptation that can also take the form of a congregational Donatism that claims that the truth of the church depends upon the moral purity of the assembly rather than Word and sacrament. The Donatist party was concerned that the church would forsake its prophetic critique of culture and succumb to moral complacency, whereas the “Catholic” concern was that Donatism would lead to moralism and sectarianism.
330–79); in the West the Rule of St. Benedict of Nursia (ca. 480–ca. 560) dominated the development of “Benedictine” monasticism. In addition to the crucial recitation of psalms and prayers in eight daily services, the monasteries provided pastoral care, homes for “surplus” noble children, education, preservation of classical culture, promotion of civilization, and evangelization. Monasticism initially entered Europe via southern Gaul. Many bishops and even popes such as Gregory the Great came from the ranks of monks, and close ties between monastery and diocese 52 The Development of Medieval Christendom BHOC05 52 6/6/05, 10:33 AM promoted monastic expansion.
Everyone wants to be happy. By linking love closely to the desire for happiness, Augustine finds it possible to regard love as the most elementary of all manifestations of human life. There is no one who does not seek his or her happiness. For Augustine this is synonymous with the claim that there is no one who does not love. 42 BHOC04 The Heavenly City 42 6/6/05, 10:32 AM Here is the foundation for the theology of ordered love that will develop in medieval scholasticism. Anything may be an object of good for me – thus even in evil the person loves nothing other than what he or she thinks is his or her good.