By Robert J. Brent
HIV/AIDS is way too complicated a phenomenon to be understood purely by means of connection with logic and moral codes. This booklet offers the Cost-Benefit research (CBA) framework in a well-researched and obtainable demeanour to make sure that crucial concerns are famous and integrated. This booklet argues that HIV/AIDS guidelines have to be proof dependent and that CBA is how to gather and summarize the facts. The paintings explains why CBA is required and highlights a few myths, incorrect information and counterintuitive leads to the sphere, and opinions the Millennium improvement pursuits (MDG) technique. It additionally offers HIV/AIDS as a starvation factor in sub-Saharan Africa and as a sexual transmission challenge within the US. the jobs of meals, source of revenue, schooling, faith, agricultural coverage, concurrency and sexual networks are all tested. Robert Brent explains the most cost-benefit tools and functions, together with threshold research, willingness to pay, expense minimization, cost-effectiveness, human capital conception and the price of a statistical existence. functions disguise girl schooling, attainable vaccines, condoms, and diverse sorts of remedy. He concludes by means of explaining how CBA contains social issues resembling fairness. With well timed and arguable discussions, this booklet could be learn with curiosity via AIDS activists, NGO participants, coverage makers and public officers, in addition to being obtainable to non-economists attracted to the topic of HIV/AIDS.
Read Online or Download Setting Priorities for HIV AIDS Interventions: A Cost-Benefit Approach PDF
Best health policy books
An experimental pathologist and molecular geneticist, Philip wooden makes use of gene-knockout expertise to review the best way mouse genes keep an eye on the metabolism of fat—research that gives insights into the workings of fatty-acid metabolism in people and what can occur whilst that metabolic stability is going awry.
No constructed country is based completely at the inner most zone to finance wellbeing and fitness deal with electorate. This ebook starts by way of exploring the deficiencies in deepest medical insurance that account for this. It then recounts the background and examines the criminal personality of America's public wellbeing and fitness care entitlements - Medicare, Medicaid, and tax subsidies for employment-related well-being advantages.
With present concepts calling for babies to obtain a number of doses of vaccines in the course of their first yr of existence and with unexpected baby loss of life syndrome (SIDS) the main widespread reason behind loss of life in the course of the submit neonatal interval, you will need to reply to matters that vaccination may well play a job in unexpected unforeseen toddler loss of life.
Nearly 1. 2 million humans within the usa dwell with HIV, and the quantity grows every year. In July 2010, the government published the nationwide HIV/AIDS technique (NHAS), geared toward lowering HIV transmission, expanding entry to care, enhancing well-being results, and lowering healthiness disparities for individuals residing with HIV.
- The Management of Scientific Integrity within Academic Medical Centers
- Nurses in the Political Arena- The Public Face Of Nursing
- Immunization Safety Review: Thimerosal - Containing Vaccines and Neurodevelopmental Disorders
- Identified versus Statistical Lives: An Interdisciplinary Perspective
Additional resources for Setting Priorities for HIV AIDS Interventions: A Cost-Benefit Approach
Say a person thinks they are HIV positive going in to the test, because risky sex is practiced with a number of partners. In this case, an HIV test would just confirm what they already know. Sexual behavior would already have changed if it was going to. So why have the test? Similarly, if someone practiced abstinence, one would expect to be HIV negative. A negative HIV test would lead to the exact same behavior as before the test. Again, if nothing is gained by testing, the test is not worth doing.
How could this possibly happen? The only people having sex with those in the high-risk group are others in the high-risk group. Their chances of getting the infection have risen and this would lift the prevalence rate. It is true that the new abstainers can no longer get HIV and this would bring the prevalence rate down. But, the net result would be a higher rate if the numbers now getting infected exceeded the numbers now no longer getting infected. Kremer (1994) was the first to model the possibility that withdrawing 17 18 Setting priorities for HIV/AIDS interventions the low-risk group from the pool of partners could raise the prevalence rate.
A person going to the bar to meet someone for sex, who chooses the partner at random, would have an 80 percent chance of meeting someone with eight partners and a 20 percent chance of meeting someone with two partners. 2). HIV would die out at this partner rate. Now let the low-activity group cease to go to the bar at all. The only people at the bar would be the high-activity group. There would be a 100 percent chance that they would be meeting someone with eight partners. So on average there would be eight partners a year.